I came across these four truths from Nelson Searcy, a pastor in New York City that does a podcast that I listen to. These are basic ideas, but very important.
1. God is in charge.
God is still on the throne and He is not shaken by the economic uncertainties of life (or any other uncertainties for that matter). He still offers hope to those who trust in him.
“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.” – Hebrews 12:28
2. God will give you peace if you call on him.
Turn off the anxiety-producing news reports and open the Good News of God’s Word. Spend some time reading your Bible and praying each day. And remember this promise:
“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you.” – 1 Peter 5:7
3. God will give you all you need if you put him first.
While it’s tempting to ‘take control’ of our finances when the future is uncertain, let me challenge you to do the opposite. Give control of your finances to God and put him first. If you do, he will give you all you need.
“God will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.” – Matthew 6:33
4. God might use you more in a time of crisis than in calm.
While none of us would have wished for this time of difficulty, there is an opportunity for us, as God’s people, to model to the world that our faith is not just a ‘sunny day faith.’ Throughout the ages, it has been during times of crisis that Christianity and God’s people have had the most impact. Let me challenge you to model with your life and lips the 3 truths above and put feet to your faith by:
- being a person of generosity while everyone else is hoarding (John 3:16);
- being consistent in faith while others are fearing (2 Timothy 1:7);
- showing great love and concern for your friends and inviting them with you to The Journey so they too can find hope (1 Peter 2:12).
I think these are great thoughts and worth listening to. May this be a time when God’s people stand out as people of faith whose security is in him.